Pfizer Principal Scientist in Cambridge, Massachusetts
A career at Pfizer offers opportunity, ownership and impact.
All over the world, Pfizer colleagues work together to positively impact health for everyone, everywhere. Our colleagues have the opportunity to grow and develop a career that offers both individual and company success; be part of an ownership culture that values diversity and where all colleagues are energized and engaged; and the ability to impact the health and lives of millions of people. Pfizer, a global leader in the biopharmaceutical industry, is continuously seeking top talent who are inspired by our purpose to innovate to bring therapies to patients that significantly improve their lives.
The Internal Medicine Research Unit (IMRU) is establishing a new High Content Imaging Technology Center that will support the entire research community at the Cambridge, MA site and will be managed by a dedicated Technology Specialist. This technology expert will be an integral member of the IMRU Platform Technologies team, which broadly supports an extensive portfolio of programs at various stages across all the disease areas of interest. The primary goals will be to support project team efforts to develop and validate robust high content and phenotypic assays for compound screening, to establish and support automated workflows, and to ensure seamless transfer of assays to the central screening group or external CROs. In this position, the successful candidate will work within a large matrix environment, across several research areas (Metabolic disease, Inflammation and Immunology, Rare Diseases and Neuroscience) on an extensive portfolio of programs, collaborating with multiple groups including discovery biology and several partner lines including medicinal chemistry and the central primary pharmacology group.
• Serve as a technical and strategic advisor to project teams around high content imaging and phenotypic screening technologies, assay development and automated workflows
• Proactively respond to project team needs to elucidate molecular mechanism of action
• Work closely with the Primary Pharmacology Group on assay transfers and outsourced screening efforts
• Work closely with external vendors around new technologies and instrumentation
• Manage a broad array of high content imaging equipment, including training users and managing workflows
• Serve as an interface to Global Operations for equipment and facilities support
• Mentor and develop less experienced staff to drive team success
• Implement continuous improvement to improve quality, efficiency and manage costs
PhD in biology with 5+ years relevant experience in high content phenotypic assay development, compound screening and workflow automation.
• Strong background in biology for all major target classes (GPCRs, Enzymes, transporters, ion channels, etc.)
• Cell biology and physiologically relevant cell-based assay experience essential
• Significant expertise in optical microscopy &; understanding of physics and engineering of systems
• Experience with a variety of high content screening platforms
• Experience with Live cell imaging and kinetic mode imaging
• Ability to perform high content imaging instrument QC and coordinate equipment maintenance
• Experience in moderate throughput compound screening (384/1536 formats)
• Cell culture expertise (primary, iPS &; immortalized)
• The attitude of self-directed scientist; demonstrated ability to multitask, prioritize work and manage a number of projects
• Exceptional communication skills and customer focus; ability to explain systems and train staff at all levels
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively as a part of a team, experience as a people manager is a plus
• Demonstrated ability to effectively deal with ambiguity and change
Technical Skill Requirements:
• Experience with HCS systems including Opera Phenix, InCell 6000, Cellomics ArrayScan
• Experience with ECHO, BioMek and other liquid handling automation
• Experience managing equipment and troubleshooting issues before engaging technical service
• Expertise in data management, data aggregation, quantitative image analysis &; workflow management
• Expertise in the following platforms: Columbus, Cell Profiler/Analyst, Harmony, Cellomics, InCell Investigator/Miner, ImageJ, Pipeline Pilot, Spotfire, GeneDataScreener and High Content Profiler.
• Experience with in vitro pharmacology data analysis, Activity Base and Biobook preferred
Ability to stand at a lab bench or instrument for extended periods.
Ability to perform complex image data analysis
Ability to compile SOPs, write reports, and generate presentations is required
NON-STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE, TRAVEL OR ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS:
Travel will be minimal but occasional trips to scientific conferences, other Pfizer research sites and external vendors may be required.
EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative.
Additional Offer Details:
Additional Location Information : Cambridge, MA
Eligible for Relocation Package
Eligible for Employee Referral Bonus
A career at Pfizer offers opportunity, ownership and impact.
All over the world, Pfizer colleagues work together to positively impact health for everyone, everywhere. Our colleagues have the opportunity to grow and develop a career that offers both individual and company success; be part of an ownership culture that values diversity and where all colleagues are energized and engaged; and the ability to impact the health and lives of millions of people. Pfizer, a global leader in the bio-pharmaceutical industry, is continuously seeking top talent who are inspired by our purpose to innovate to bring therapies to patients that significantly improve their lives.
Pfizer is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable equal employment opportunity legislation in each jurisdiction in which it operates.