Pfizer Principle Scientist, Lab Head in Cambridge, Massachusetts
A career at Pfizer offers opportunity, ownership and impact.
All over the world, Pfizer colleagues work together to positively impact health for everyone, everywhere. Our colleagues have the opportunity to grow and develop a career that offers both individual and company success; be part of an ownership culture that values diversity and where all colleagues are energized and engaged; and the ability to impact the health and lives of millions of people. Pfizer, a global leader in the biopharmaceutical industry, is continuously seeking top talent who are inspired by our purpose to innovate to bring therapies to patients that significantly improve their lives.
The Tau Laboratory Head within the Neurodegeneration group of the Internal Medicine Research Unit will be responsible for leading a group of 4-5 scientists with the responsibility of delivering high quality programs through candidate selection. The laboratory head will be a dynamic, innovative thinker who is able to push and explore the boundaries of disease mechanisms that range across the neurodegenerative space with a primary focus on protein misfolding and tau biology. A particular acumen for integrating disease mechanisms common to both the rare human familal genetics and the diverse wide-spread human disease biology is important.
The successful candidate will:
• Lead a laboratory of Bachelor, Masters and Ph.D. level scientists in support of the Research Unit's goals; provides supervision, goal setting, career development and mentoring to colleagues.
• Identify new mechanisms of exploration across the neurodegenerative disease landscape and integrate contemporary and cutting edge technology into a successful drug discovery program.
• Apply their advanced knowledge and expertise in the area of tau biology, in the development of experimental and project plans.
• Identifies and develops scientific strategies to support the laboratories goals and sets direction for the lab.
• Act as a scientific resource in the area of tau biology and protein misfolding for the line, Research Unit and Pfizer Neuroscience.
• Applies innovative approaches to test hypotheses; evaluating and incorporating new science and technology to solve research problems.
• Be a clear thinker with a passion for scientific exploration and the ability to communicate a vision.
• Be visible within the public environment through academic publications, invitations to speak, and leadership roles on relevant scientific/medical forums ranging form specific research consortia to public health care education.
• Contributes to multidisciplinary teams, consistently representing the neurodegeneration Line, project teams, and their lab across the enterprise.
• Lead cross functional research project teams, providing scientific and project management leadership.
• Be responsible for developing and managing plans to achieve objects; applying resources and capabilities to advance the lab and project team's scientific and drug discovery objectives.
• Collaborate extensiviely with others to achieve the Research Unit's goals; proactively building relationships across the organization and in the external environment.
• PhD, MD or M.D. /PhD in neuroscience or neurology
• 4+ years experience independently leading a research effort
• Demonstratedl scientific expertise in the area of tau biology through publications and presentations.
• Record of team and project leadership
• Demonstrated ability to build relationships in a matrixed environment to support the team's efforts; building a dynamic internal and external ecosystem.
• Proven track record in providing leadership to advancing scientific research from idea through execution
Colleagues who are issued an Incident Final Warning (IFW) on or after January 1, 2016, are not eligible to post and compete for a position for a period of 12-months from the date an IFW is issued.
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.A career at Pfizer offers opportunity, ownership and impact.
All over the world, Pfizer colleagues work together to positively impact health for everyone, everywhere. Our colleagues have the opportunity to grow and develop a career that offers both individual and company success; be part of an ownership culture that values diversity and where all colleagues are energized and engaged; and the ability to impact the health and lives of millions of people. Pfizer, a global leader in the bio-pharmaceutical industry, is continuously seeking top talent who are inspired by our purpose to innovate to bring therapies to patients that significantly improve their lives.
Pfizer is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable equal employment opportunity legislation in each jurisdiction in which it operates.