Pfizer Quantitative Systems Pharmacologist in Cambridge, Massachusetts
A career at Pfizer offers opportunity, ownership and impact.
All over the world, Pfizer colleagues work together to positively impact health for everyone, everywhere. Our colleagues have the opportunity to grow and develop a career that offers both individual and company success; be part of an ownership culture that values diversity and where all colleagues are energized and engaged; and the ability to impact the health and lives of millions of people. Pfizer, a global leader in the biopharmaceutical industry, is continuously seeking top talent who are inspired by our purpose to innovate to bring therapies to patients that significantly improve their lives.
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Colleagues who are issued an Incident Final Warning (IFW) on or after January 1, 2016, are not eligible to post and compete for a position for a period of 12-months from the date an IFW is issued.
Pfizer's Systems Modeling and Simulation group is seeking a quantitative systems pharmacologist to support preclinical R&;D. The position is located in Cambridge, MA and is aligned to support Pfizer's portfolio of Internal Medicine projects. The primary remit associated with the role is to develop and execute translational pharmacology plans in partnership with multidisciplinary project teams. Translational plans include aspects related to building confidence in rationale; evaluating biological targets and modes of pharmacological intervention; defining drug design objectives; evaluating and prioritizing key biomarkers; design of experiments; prediction of clinical PKPD; and selection of clinical candidates for advancement. The ideal candidate will be able to independently apply a range of modeling and simulation approaches in order to meet the unique quantitative pharmacology demands across a diverse set of projects. The role requires an ability to communicate complex pharmacokinetic and pharmacological concepts, as well as modeling results to non-experts for the sake of influencing team strategy and tactics. The role also requires effective partnership with clinical groups to ensure a continuum of model-based drug development from project inception to proof-to-concept.
• As a core team member, collaborate with multidisciplinary preclinical project teams to develop sound therapeutic hypotheses and deliver clinical candidates capable of testing them.
• Development and execution of quantitative translational pharmacology plans to support preclinical R&;D programs from idea to project termination or clinical candidate selection.
• Hands-on application of a diversity of modeling and simulation approaches (PKPD, PBPK and Systems Pharmacology) to project teams in a manner that is fit-for-purpose according to available data and timelines.
• Collaboration with clinical lines to ensure transfer of quantitative knowledge necessary for the rational design of early clinical development plans (e.g. methods studies that enable timely development, biomarker selection and interpretation, design of FIH, proof-of mechanism and early signal of efficacy studies) .
• Hands on modeling and simulation support of line sponsored science and technology efforts which seek to improve the quality and efficacy by which programs are supported on a platform basis.
• Keep up to date with emerging literature and science in internal medicine, DMPK and mathematical modeling.
• Network with internal and external experts in quantitative pharmacology to share learnings and develop best practices.
• Build upon existing personal publication track record and contribute to departmental external visibility/influence goals.
• Ph.D. in Engineering, Mathematics, Physics or other discipline with strong numerical components focusing on modeling and simulation
• Excellent understanding of theory, principles, and statistical aspects of advanced modeling and simulation
• Experience with complicated data types and a diversity of modeling and simulation approaches (e.g. PKPD, PBPK, Systems Pharmacology) and M&;S environments (e.g. NONMEM, R, Matlab, Berkeley Madonna)
• Track record of external publications
• 0 - 3 years of experience in the biopharmaceutical industry
• Team player, able to communicate results and ideas to non-experts
• Experience developing and applying modeling and simulation in support of preclinical pharmaceutical R&;D (preferred)
• Experience in applying M&;S within cardiovascular, metabolic or neurological disease areas (preferred)
• Ability to perform mathematical calculations and complex data analyses
• Resilient and demonstrates ability to push new ideas through initial barriers of resistance
• Ability to listen to, learn from and influence colleagues with a variety of scientific backgrounds
NON-STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE, TRAVEL OR ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS
Occasional business travel, mostly in the NE USA career at Pfizer offers opportunity, ownership and impact.
All over the world, Pfizer colleagues work together to positively impact health for everyone, everywhere. Our colleagues have the opportunity to grow and develop a career that offers both individual and company success; be part of an ownership culture that values diversity and where all colleagues are energized and engaged; and the ability to impact the health and lives of millions of people. Pfizer, a global leader in the bio-pharmaceutical industry, is continuously seeking top talent who are inspired by our purpose to innovate to bring therapies to patients that significantly improve their lives.
Pfizer is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable equal employment opportunity legislation in each jurisdiction in which it operates.