Pfizer Scientist, In Vitro Neurology in Cambridge, Massachusetts
The Tau Lab within the Neurodegeneration group of the Internal Medicine Research Unit will be responsible for delivering high quality programs through candidate selection with a focus on protein misfolding and tau biology. The primary goals of this position will be to support project team efforts through development and validation of robust in vitro assays to better understand tau disease biology, compound screening and to establish automated workflows where applicable.
In this position, the successful candidate will work within a large matrix environment, across a portfolio of programs, collaborating with multiple groups including discovery biology and several partner lines including medicinal chemistry, PDM and the central primary pharmacology group.
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Colleagues who are issued an Incident Final Warning (IFW) on or after January 1, 2016, are not eligible to post and compete for a position for a period of 12-months from the date an IFW is issued.
BA, BS or Masters in biology or neuroscience with laboratory experience relevant to this position.
• Broad understanding of biology, preferably with an emphasis in Neuroscience.
• Scientific understanding of the major target classes (GPCRs, Enzymes, transporters, ion channels, etc.)
• Experience with assay development methodologies
• Experience with cell culture (primary and immortalized)
• Experience in low to moderate throughput compound screening preferred but not mandatory
• Experience with automation of liquid handling and screening workflows preferred but not mandatory
• Ability to conduct data analysis using Microsoft Excel, GraphPad Prism, or equivalent software.
• Ability to complete experiments and present results in individual and group settings.
• Proven verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to work in a collaborative team environment
• Perform laboratory experiments to help establish robust disease biology, biochemical and cell-based compound screening assays across a broad array of target classes for Neurodegeneration and Neuroinflammation project teams.
• Operate a broad array of liquid-handling and plate-based pharmacology equipment as needed to ensure efficient automated workflows for newly developed assays
• Maintain immortalized cell, primary cell and iPS cell cultures as needed for assay development and low volume screening efforts
• Identify new mechanisms of exploration across the neurodegenerative disease landscape and integrate contemporary and cutting edge technology into a successful drug discovery program.
• Identify and develop scientific strategies to support the goals of the tau lab
• Apply innovative approaches to test hypotheses; evaluating and incorporating new science and technology to solve research problems.
• Be a clear thinker with a passion for scientific exploration and the ability to communicate a vision.
• Prepare and present experimental results to project teams
• Maintain high quality experimental records within electronic laboratory notebook
A career at Pfizer offers opportunity, ownership and impact.
All over the world, Pfizer colleagues work together to positively impact health for everyone, everywhere. Our colleagues have the opportunity to grow and develop a career that offers both individual and company success; be part of an ownership culture that values diversity and where all colleagues are energized and engaged; and the ability to impact the health and lives of millions of people. Pfizer, a global leader in the biopharmaceutical industry, is continuously seeking top talent who are inspired by our purpose to innovate to bring therapies to patients that significantly improve their lives.A career at Pfizer offers opportunity, ownership and impact.
All over the world, Pfizer colleagues work together to positively impact health for everyone, everywhere. Our colleagues have the opportunity to grow and develop a career that offers both individual and company success; be part of an ownership culture that values diversity and where all colleagues are energized and engaged; and the ability to impact the health and lives of millions of people. Pfizer, a global leader in the bio-pharmaceutical industry, is continuously seeking top talent who are inspired by our purpose to innovate to bring therapies to patients that significantly improve their lives.
Pfizer is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable equal employment opportunity legislation in each jurisdiction in which it operates.