Pfizer Senior Scientist in Cambridge, Massachusetts
A career at Pfizer offers opportunity, ownership and impact.
All over the world, Pfizer colleagues work together to positively impact health for everyone, everywhere. Our colleagues have the opportunity to grow and develop a career that offers both individual and company success; be part of an ownership culture that values diversity and where all colleagues are energized and engaged; and the ability to impact the health and lives of millions of people. Pfizer, a global leader in the biopharmaceutical industry, is continuously seeking top talent who are inspired by our purpose to innovate to bring therapies to patients that significantly improve their lives.
Pfizer Neuroscience is looking for a motivated cell and molecular biologist to be a driver of our efforts to develop therapies for Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease. As the field of neuroimmunology is closely linked with neurodegenerative disease, we hope that this candidate will bring a perspective on the innate immune system into their work to construct assays and uncover decision-driving human biology. This position focuses on the dedicated experimentalist who will work in a multidisciplinary team as part of our pre-clinical research. Core areas of focus will be translating genetics and human biology observations into both in vitro and in vivo systems to understand modifiers of neurodegenerative pathology. Also, this position will be charged with exploring the emerging target space of the immune system in the brain via functional genomics (siRNA, shRNA, CRISPR/Cas9, and chemogenomic screens), proteomics, and transcriptomics.
A second point of emphasis for this position is innovation in genome editing techniques (CRISPR/Cas9 and variants) to advance neurodegenerative disease research. Combining a skillset in cell line generation, molecular biology, and genome editing methodologies will be crucial to validate targets in the neuroimmunology space and beyond. Working effectively with bio-informaticists, chemists, and a variety of in vivo and in vitro-oriented collaborators is essential for success. This position is designed for someone seeking to become a technical leader and a critical resource within the research unit. An emphasis will be placed on discovering new biological insight and contributing to research publications both inside Pfizer and for the external scientific community.
• The position requires a strong background in cellular and molecular biology and the ability to use these skills to understand fundamental neurological and immunological processes. Responsible for delivering reproducible and well-controlled datasets according to project timelines.
• Generation of in vitro models and assays for drug discovery and target validation. The candidate will be required to demonstrate that these assays are robust and appropriate for large-scale screening campaigns.
• Develop deep understanding of neurodegenerative disease biology in the context of ongoing projects in the Neuroscience Research Unit, using appropriate experimental and analytical approaches.
• Assist team members in integrative experiments that measure the response of in vitro and in vivo systems to pharmacological modulation.
• Contribute datasets for project teams in addition to observations, innovations, ideas, and literature insights into the development of novel approaches to study neurodegenerative disease.
• MS with 5+ years of experience or PhD with 0-3 years of experience in a bioscience related field.
• Deep expertise in molecular biology techniques including and the latest methodologies in vector construction, site-directed mutagenesis, qRT-PCR, DNA/RNA/Protein visualization, labeling, and RNAi.
• Demonstrated application of mammalian cell culture and associated techniques with an emphasis on cell line development.
• Past experience with fluorescence activated cell sorting (FACS)
• Ability to design and utilize viral-based gene transduction systems.
• Strong proficiency in written and spoken English with the ability to convey ideas and information clearly.
• An attention to detail and the ability to maintain meticulous documentation of experiments and data.
• Ability/willingness to work with in vivo models such as rodent.
• Highly proficient with statistics, figure design, and scientific data analysis software (e.g., Graphpad Prism, Image J, Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator, SigmaPlot, Metamorph, Origin, and R).
• Previous research focused on the innate immune system
• Successful utilization of genome editing techniques including the CRISPR/Cas9 and TALEN platforms.
• Utilization of CRISPR screening technologies such as GeCKO.
• Experience with laboratory automation and omics technologies (e.g., Next-gen sequencing, RNASeq, mass-spectrometry).
• Basic understanding of fundamental concepts in computer programming/scripting and experience with languages such as VBA, Java, C++, and Perl.
• Pharmaceutical industry experience is desirable.
• Experience working in a team-based industrial environment.
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Colleagues who are issued an Incident Final Warning (IFW) on or after January 1, 2016, are not eligible to post and compete for a position for a period of 12-months from the date an IFW is issued.A career at Pfizer offers opportunity, ownership and impact.
All over the world, Pfizer colleagues work together to positively impact health for everyone, everywhere. Our colleagues have the opportunity to grow and develop a career that offers both individual and company success; be part of an ownership culture that values diversity and where all colleagues are energized and engaged; and the ability to impact the health and lives of millions of people. Pfizer, a global leader in the bio-pharmaceutical industry, is continuously seeking top talent who are inspired by our purpose to innovate to bring therapies to patients that significantly improve their lives.
Pfizer is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable equal employment opportunity legislation in each jurisdiction in which it operates.