Pfizer Vice President, Translational Gene Therapy in Cambridge, Massachusetts
A career at Pfizer offers opportunity, ownership and impact.
All over the world, Pfizer colleagues work together to positively impact health for everyone, everywhere. Our colleagues have the opportunity to grow and develop a career that offers both individual and company success; be part of an ownership culture that values diversity and where all colleagues are energized and engaged; and the ability to impact the health and lives of millions of people. Pfizer, a global leader in the biopharmaceutical industry, is continuously seeking top talent who are inspired by our purpose to innovate to bring therapies to patients that significantly improve their lives.
Colleagues who are issued an Incident Final Warning (IFW) on or after January 1, 2016, are not eligible to post and compete for a position for a period of 12-months from the date an IFW is issued.
Training &; Education Required:
• M.D., Ph.D., or M.D./Ph.D.
• Deep working knowledge of biology relevant to gene therapy.
• Competency in leadership skills
Prior Experience Preferred:
• 15 or more years experience in research
• Recognized deep biological expertise and innovative record of research in a relevant therapeutic area.
• Established record of delivering high quality drug candidates
• Established national and international scientific reputation
• Demonstrated track record of high impact publications
• Record of team leadership including change management experience
• Proven entrepreneurial mindset
• Scientific leader in his or her field as demonstrated by external reputation (e.g. publications,
editorials appointments and podium presentations at top level scientific meetings)
• A compelling and inspiring leader with a sharp scientific mind, who combines broad
knowledge and understanding of biological systems with being a world-class leader in his/her
field of biomedical research.
• Decision making and problem solving profile which enables marrying emerging science with
unmet medical need to identify potential breakthrough medicines, uses this experience to build a sustainable pipeline of drug candidates. Adept at separating important from unimportant information.
• Combines knowledge from multiple sources to generate novel and high impact ideas. Gets to
the core of the problem, asks insightful and probing questions and gets to the next step
• Strategically and rigorously assess projects in light of overall pipeline strategy and quickly and
decisively advances or terminates projects.
• Disaggregates complex problems to facilitate problem solving.
• Business "mindset"; teases out and understands risks inherent in drug discovery and makes decisions appropriate to opportunity and investment required.
• Thinks laterally, connecting seemingly unrelated data, information, perspectives etc, at people, scientific and business levels.
• As a member of the RDRU LT, set priorities aligned with strategic direction from the Rare Disease Category Leadership to generate an appropriate return on investment.
• Lead a group of 12 scientists responsible for AAV assay development, immunology, testing in vitro and in vivo, distribution studies, and project leadership.
• Partner closely with the Pfizer gene therapy groups at Bamboo in Chapel Hill, NC, the Genetics Medicine Group in London, and RDRU Biology in Cambridge, MA, to identify, implement and progress new gene therapy projects.
• Partner with other disciplines of integrated drug discovery and development, especially pharmacokinetics and drug disposition, Drug Safety, Regulatory, and Early Clinical Development, to develop translational preclinical packages for gene therapy clinical candidates.
• Ensure scientific strategy for each drug discovery project is rigorous, aligned and effective.
• Influence the global external environment through thought leadership, external visibility and active engagement with key opinion leaders
• Foster a collaborative and productive environment between Pfizer RDRU and academic biomedical researchers.
• Ensure all activities executed comply with legal and regulatory requirements and with Pfizer
• Build an "intelligence" capability and external network of biomedical research collaborations and advisors to find the most attractive gene therapy indications.
• Ensure projects are adequately resourced and prioritized to deliver on objectives.
• Eliminate barriers and silos that inhibit collaboration across departments and line functions and foster a culture of open collaboration, communication and transparency.
• Clearly communicate and articulate the vision and strategy to stakeholders and regularly report on portfolio progress.
• Inspire, model, and reinforce colleague expectations of urgently creating value at an appropriate return on investment, of applying innovative, rigorous science to discovering new medicines, of individual &; collective accountability for value creation, of continuously improving organizational effectiveness.
• Serve as a role model to Pfizer colleagues by maintaining the highest standards of scientific rigor and ethical principles. Nurture a culture that promotes challenging and respectful interactions among Pfizer colleagues and their external consultants and collaborators.
• Build a cohort of colleagues with the quality of scientific leadership and external recognition to
generate competitive advantage in attracting the best talent and collaborators.
• Engender a high level of engagement across both direct and indirect lines.
• Attract and grow highly effective scientists and drug discoverers and nurture a culture that
translates breaking biological science into new medicines more effectively than the competition.
• Effectively, rigorously and accurately review and develop talent. Proactively address
development needs and make difficult decisions when appropriate.
The Senior Director/VP Translational Gene Therapy will lead a group of 12 scientists within the Rare Disease Research Unit focused on gene therapy specific platform technologies towards the delivery of IND-approved vectors for testing in clinical trials. The Senior Director/VP Translational Gene Therapy will be a driver of innovation and scientific excellence, contributing to ensure that our discovery laboratories are recognized for their scientific innovation by driving and responding to rapidly breaking science and evolving global healthcare demands related to gene therapy. The Senior Director/VP Translational Gene Therapy will be an experienced leader who will partner closely with the Pfizer gene therapy groups at Bamboo in NC and the Genetics Medicine Group in London, in addition to colleagues in many other Pfizer disciplines contributing towards the development of Gene Therapies.
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.A career at Pfizer offers opportunity, ownership and impact.
All over the world, Pfizer colleagues work together to positively impact health for everyone, everywhere. Our colleagues have the opportunity to grow and develop a career that offers both individual and company success; be part of an ownership culture that values diversity and where all colleagues are energized and engaged; and the ability to impact the health and lives of millions of people. Pfizer, a global leader in the bio-pharmaceutical industry, is continuously seeking top talent who are inspired by our purpose to innovate to bring therapies to patients that significantly improve their lives.
Pfizer is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable equal employment opportunity legislation in each jurisdiction in which it operates.