Pfizer Principal Scientist, High Content Screening Lead in Groton, Connecticut
A career at Pfizer offers opportunity, ownership and impact.
All over the world, Pfizer colleagues work together to positively impact health for everyone, everywhere. Our colleagues have the opportunity to grow and develop a career that offers both individual and company success; be part of an ownership culture that values diversity and where all colleagues are energized and engaged; and the ability to impact the health and lives of millions of people. Pfizer, a global leader in the biopharmaceutical industry, is continuously seeking top talent who are inspired by our purpose to innovate to bring therapies to patients that significantly improve their lives.
The Primary Pharmacology Group is looking for a talented High Content Imaging and Flow Cytometry Scientist. This highly motivated technology expert and deep-thinking biologist will be an integral member of the High Content Screening team, which supports programs across multiple research units (Cardiovascular &; Metabolic disease, Inflammation and Immunology, Rare Diseases and Neuroscience). The successful candidate will play a leading role in developing and validating robust high content and phenotypic assays using physiologically relevant disease models.
In this role, the candidate will creatively and independently tackle complex scientific challenges in collaboration with multiple complementary disciplines such as disease biology, proteomics, metabolomics, functional genomics, computational sciences and medicinal chemistry.
The Primary Pharmacology group offers a supportive environment for colleagues, and fosters a culture encouraging openness, innovation and ownership of our science. We aim to provide scientific and career opportunities for personal development commensurate with a colleague's goals, experience and personal aspirations.
• Collaborate with project teams to develop and validate high content imaging and high throughput flow cytometry plate based assays for phenotypic screens and target based projects
• Develop and implement automated image analysis algorithms and data extrapolation processes to decipher subtle phenotypic signatures in physiologically relevant disease models (phenotypic fingerprints, Principal Component Analysis (PCA) and single cell heterogeneity analysis)
• Proactively investigate new assay formats and multivariate analysis to elucidate molecular mechanism of action
• Mentor and inspire less experienced colleagues within same team and across the Primary Pharmacology Group to be perceived rapidly as a go-to person
• Explore and implement novel high content technologies to increase assay format capabilities, improve phenotypic assay quality and efficiency and manage costs
• Promote Pfizer high content phenotypic screening capabilities and reputation through external publications and presentations.
PhD in Biology or equivalent with 5+ years relevant experience in high content phenotypic assay development, compound screening and workflow automation.
• Cell biology and physiologically relevant cell-based assay experience is essential
• Strong background in biology for major target classes (GPCRs, Enzymes, transporters, ion channels, etc.)
• Significant expertise in optical microscopy and flow cytometry
• Experience with a variety of high content screening platforms and image analysis software
• Experience in moderate throughput compound screening (384/1536w formats)
• Cell culture expertise (primary cells, iPS and cell lines - 3D culture experience is a plus)
• Demonstrated ability to multitask, prioritize work and manage a number of projects
• Exceptional communication skills and customer focus; ability to explain systems and train staff at all levels
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively as a part of a team
Technical Skill Requirements
• Experience with HCS systems such as Opera Phenix and InCell 6000
• Experience with FACS acquisition and analysis using MacsQuant and iQue+ platforms
• Experience with liquid handling automation and data management tools such as Spotfire or PipelinePilot
• Familiar with High content analysis software such as Columbus, Cell Profiler, ImageJ and Flowjo
• Experience with analyzing in vitro pharmacology data using Activity Base, Gene Data Screener or Biobook
• Experience managing equipment and troubleshooting issues before engaging technical service
• Ability to stand at a lab bench or instrument for extended periods.
• Ability to perform complex image data analysis
• Ability to compile SOPs, write reports, and generate presentations is required
NON-STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE, TRAVEL OR ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS
• Travel will be minimal but occasional trips to other Pfizer research sites and external partners may be required.
• Compliance with laboratory safety practices.
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Colleagues who are issued an Incident Final Warning (IFW) on or after January 1, 2016, are not eligible to post and compete for a position for a period of 12-months from the date an IFW is issued.A career at Pfizer offers opportunity, ownership and impact.
All over the world, Pfizer colleagues work together to positively impact health for everyone, everywhere. Our colleagues have the opportunity to grow and develop a career that offers both individual and company success; be part of an ownership culture that values diversity and where all colleagues are energized and engaged; and the ability to impact the health and lives of millions of people. Pfizer, a global leader in the bio-pharmaceutical industry, is continuously seeking top talent who are inspired by our purpose to innovate to bring therapies to patients that significantly improve their lives.
Pfizer is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable equal employment opportunity legislation in each jurisdiction in which it operates.