Pfizer Senior Associate Scientist, Veterinary Technician in Groton, Connecticut
A career at Pfizer offers opportunity, ownership and impact.
All over the world, Pfizer colleagues work together to positively impact health for everyone, everywhere. Our colleagues have the opportunity to grow and develop a career that offers both individual and company success; be part of an ownership culture that values diversity and where all colleagues are energized and engaged; and the ability to impact the health and lives of millions of people. Pfizer, a global leader in the biopharmaceutical industry, is continuously seeking top talent who are inspired by our purpose to innovate to bring therapies to patients that significantly improve their lives.
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Colleagues who are issued an Incident Final Warning (IFW) on or after January 1, 2016, are not eligible to post and compete for a position for a period of 12-months from the date an IFW is issued.
Associate's degree in a related field required; Bachelor's degree in related field preferred.
Either a Certified Veterinary Technician or Registered Veterinary Technician certification preferred.
• In general, a colleague at this level will have a minimum 3-4 years of experience.
• Experience providing hands on clinical care to a wide variety of lab animal species.
• Working knowledge of regulations related to the use of animals in research.
All colleagues should have functional knowledge of Microsoft Office, Outlook, calendar management and Internet Explorer. Colleagues should be able to use on line systems such as time tracking and document management. (e.g. SharePoint, Activity Tracker) Knowledge and use of other systems based upon job function may be required.
Lifting, sitting, standing, walking, bending, ability to perform mathematical calculations
NON-STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE, TRAVEL OR ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS
May be required to work under one or more of the following: the United States Department of Agriculture Animal Welfare Act and associated Regulations and Standards, the Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals, Good Laboratory Practices, Public Health Service Policy and/or AAALAC accreditation standards.
This is an essential personnel role: Essential Personnel are defined as the staff who are required to report to their designated work location, to ensure the operation of essential functions or departments during an emergency, as determined by Pfizer, or when the business has suspended operations. There are some individuals who may be required to perform essential services remotely and those individuals will be identified in advance and notified by their supervisors, but in most cases Essential Personnel are required to be on-site during an emergency or suspension of operations.
- Provide veterinary care for all species used in research and development.
• First line evaluation of clinical cases
• Under direction of clinical veterinarian, initiate diagnostics and treatments
• Monitor treatment and progress
• Preventive medicine: vaccinations, microbiology, disease surveillance
• After hours, weekend, and holiday clinical coverage
• Maintain stocks of clinical supplies and medicines
• Arrange for maintenance of clinical equipment
- Regulatory compliance
• Animal Welfare Act regulations, The Guide for the Humane Care and Use of Laboratory Animals, Good Laboratory Practices, and AAALAC standards
• Ensuring compliance with IACUC guidelines; adherence to internal policies such as, Pfizer's Corporate Policy #901and EH&;S policies as they relate to human and animal safety.
• Clinical record keeping
- Participation in Animal welfare enhancement
• Environmental enrichment program
• Behavioral monitoring in all species
• Promoting the 3 R's (Reduction, Refinement, Replacement)
• Standard animal procedures including handling, dosing, biologic sampling, and euthanasia
• Veterinary technician cross training
- Partner with GST and/or RUs on surgery and anesthesia activities
• Provide anesthesia support under supervision of veterinary staff
• Provide complete peri-operative care and support
• Maintain sanitation in treatment and surgery facilities
- Collaborative scientific efforts
• Project participation
• Attend continuing education meetings
Fully support the Comparative Medicine laboratory animal veterinary program by providing veterinary care and technical assistance duties.A career at Pfizer offers opportunity, ownership and impact.
All over the world, Pfizer colleagues work together to positively impact health for everyone, everywhere. Our colleagues have the opportunity to grow and develop a career that offers both individual and company success; be part of an ownership culture that values diversity and where all colleagues are energized and engaged; and the ability to impact the health and lives of millions of people. Pfizer, a global leader in the bio-pharmaceutical industry, is continuously seeking top talent who are inspired by our purpose to innovate to bring therapies to patients that significantly improve their lives.
Pfizer is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable equal employment opportunity legislation in each jurisdiction in which it operates.