Pfizer Sr. Scientist, High Content Imaging, Pharmacology in Groton, Connecticut
A career at Pfizer offers opportunity, ownership and impact.
All over the world, Pfizer colleagues work together to positively impact health for everyone, everywhere. Our colleagues have the opportunity to grow and develop a career that offers both individual and company success; be part of an ownership culture that values diversity and where all colleagues are energized and engaged; and the ability to impact the health and lives of millions of people. Pfizer, a global leader in the biopharmaceutical industry, is continuously seeking top talent who are inspired by our purpose to innovate to bring therapies to patients that significantly improve their lives.
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Colleagues who are issued an Incident Final Warning (IFW) on or after January 1, 2016, are not eligible to post and compete for a position for a period of 12-months from the date an IFW is issued.
• Minimum qualification PhD or equivalent with 4+ years of relevant experience to drug discovery in cellular assays, high-content screening and pharmacology OR MSc with 10+ years of industry experience.
• Prior experience in a laboratory working as part of a multi-disciplinary team focused on the discovery of novel therapeutic agents.
• Experience with in vitro high content phenotypic assays, data analysis, QC, and visualization
• Cell biology and physiologically relevant cell based assay experience essential
• Experience with troubleshooting technical assays and protocols
• Experience in designing and developing high content cell based assays and to identify opportunities for improvement in assay execution
• Demonstration of excellent computer, verbal and written communication skills.
• Demonstrated examples of personal and scientific leadership
• Have a sustained track record of delivering high quality data meeting the needs of teams.
• Experience of successfully interacting with and meeting the needs of stakeholder groups is essential as well as having a customer focus.
• Experience of interacting with other groups in related areas such as material management, automation and informatics is essential.
At Pfizer, we believe in helping people lead healthier lives - from our customers to our colleagues. We offer a wide array of programs and plans that give our colleagues the flexibility and tools they need to get and stay healthy, both physically and financially. These include competitive compensation, generous medical, vacation and retirement benefits as well as a number of additional programs.
The Primary Pharmacology group offers an exciting, fast-paced, supportive environment for colleagues, and fosters a culture encouraging openness, innovation and ownership of our science. We aim to provide continual scientific and growth opportunities for personal development commensurate with a colleague's goals and experience.
Sitting, standing, lifting, bending, and walking. Ability to perform practical laboratory bench work and to work on a computer (while standing or sitting). Ability to perform mathematical calculations and interpret data.
NON-STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE, TRAVEL OR ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS
• Travel is not required, however there will be opportunities to travel occasionally to Cambridge, MA to partner with Research Unit project teams and attend appropriate meetings and conferences.
• Compliance with laboratory safety practices.
The successful candidate will join a team of scientists within the Primary Pharmacology Group which is focused on the design, development, optimization and execution of in vitro plate-based screening strategies supporting early Research Unit portfolios.
The successful candidate will be a member of a laboratory with other lab scientists focused on high content phenotypic assay development by executing single cell image analysis and high throughput flow cytometry assays supporting the portfolios of multiple therapeutic areas and scientific initiatives. He/she will design, validate and deliver high quality in vitro screening data from high content imaging and flow cytometry based pharmacology screens to drive lead series identification, optimization and drug candidate selection. He/she may also provide oversight and take accountability for the delivery of high content pharmacology data provided by external Contract Research Organizations.
He/she will be asked to bring strategic insight into the screen design, ensuring robust decision-making that is appropriate for the biological challenges of phenotypic assays and enables the investigation of molecular mechanisms of actions. He/she will serve as a project point of contact for the drug discovery project teams.
Applicants must have a strong scientific background in high content cell biology, computational image analysis and drug discovery data knowledge. The candidate will possess strong collaborative and written/verbal communication skills and a positive attitude to interact with multiple partners (e.g. therapeutic area teams, Chemistry and Biology leads, ADME and Safety lines and Outsourcing vendors).
He/she should demonstrate personal leadership within the group, scientific leadership both at the bench and at computational data analysis, and be adept at multi-tasking. He/she will be expected to mentor more junior scientists in the group to drive team success.
Successful candidates will be expected to:
• Be an expert in high content imaging and flow cytometry in vitro assay execution and data analysis
• Develop and perform image-based fluorescence microscopy or flow cytometry cellular assays in support of phenotypic screening, target identification and validation.
• Develop/utilize image-analysis algorithms
• Have experience using High Content Imaging platforms (InCell 6000, Opera Phenix, Cellomics...) and Flow cytometry platforms (Aria, MacsQuant, Intellicyt...)
• Have experience with physiologically relevant cell based assay formats (IPS cells, human primary cells, 3D culture and microfluidic platforms)
• Have experience using high content 384/1536 plate based platforms and possibly high throughput flow cytometry.
• Be skilled in assay development and optimization of high content imaging and flow cytometry assays and familiar with the use of robotics and automation in the performance of screening
• Be proficient in computational image analysis and automated data management to apply appropriate software to specific needs (Columbus, Forecyt, Volocity, High Content Profiler, ABase, GeneData Screener...)
• Possesses excellent writing and communication skills and works with partners to achieve objectives
• Contribute to and lead local and global projects for High content phenotypic screening and proactively respond to project team needs to support molecular mechanism of action identification
• Serve as a resource for biological and drug discovery high content screening expertise
• Support collaborative scientific initiatives within and across partner lines as appropriate
• Build and maintain a 'cutting edge' awareness of new technology advances (cytof, NanoSIM, super Resolution...), computational modeling system developments, and scientific knowledge in the field
• Mentor and develop less experienced staff to drive team success
• Adopt a Continuous Improvement mindset to improve quality, efficiency and/or cost of processes
• Promote Pfizer High Content phenotypic screening capabilities and reputation through external publications and presentations.
•Maintain up to date electronic laboratory notebooks and records in accordance with Pfizer policy.
•Comply with all safety training and good laboratory practices.
Additional role attributes:-
•Contributes to achievement of goals at the work group/ project team level as a full team participant and influences work at this level. Decisions frequently impact whole work group/project team
•Recognized as a technical expert with growing scientific contributions and acts as a resource within own work group/project team. Provides formal/informal mentoring within work group/project team
•Makes decisions that require choosing between multiple options or may develop new options to resolve moderately complex problems
•Manages own time to meet agreed targets; develops plans for short-term work activities on own projects (timelines, work plans, deliverables)
•Works under limited supervision with periodic review of achievement of results and methods used
Pfizer colleagues have many perspectives, many backgrounds and many strengths. But we share one goal: to make the world a healthier place. Our investment in people is a commitment to strengthen an already remarkable company. Pfizer is a place for people who strive to learn, grow and lead.
Worldwide Research and Development at Pfizer combines research and technology units that have deep disease area expertise with partner lines that deliver cutting-edge science, generating an efficient R&;D operating model, to discover and develop innovative therapies through advancing small molecules and biotherapeutics, including vaccines.
•This laboratory scientist will provide high quality in vitro plate-based high content imaging data to project teams to enable rapid decision making in support of the Worldwide Research and Development portfolio.
•This scientist will play a key role in developing, optimizing and validating in vitro high content imaging assays using physiologically relevant assay systems.
•This scientist will have the opportunity to work on cutting-edge science using novel technologies.
•This scientist will partner with Research Unit Biologists, Chemistry, Contract Research Organizations, to deliver on the portfolio.A career at Pfizer offers opportunity, ownership and impact.
All over the world, Pfizer colleagues work together to positively impact health for everyone, everywhere. Our colleagues have the opportunity to grow and develop a career that offers both individual and company success; be part of an ownership culture that values diversity and where all colleagues are energized and engaged; and the ability to impact the health and lives of millions of people. Pfizer, a global leader in the bio-pharmaceutical industry, is continuously seeking top talent who are inspired by our purpose to innovate to bring therapies to patients that significantly improve their lives.
Pfizer is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable equal employment opportunity legislation in each jurisdiction in which it operates.