Pfizer Senior Associate Scientist, ImmunoPharmacology Tumor Biology in San Diego, California
A career at Pfizer offers opportunity, ownership and impact.
All over the world, Pfizer colleagues work together to positively impact health for everyone, everywhere. Our colleagues have the opportunity to grow and develop a career that offers both individual and company success; be part of an ownership culture that values diversity and where all colleagues are energized and engaged; and the ability to impact the health and lives of millions of people. Pfizer, a global leader in the biopharmaceutical industry, is continuously seeking top talent who are inspired by our purpose to innovate to bring therapies to patients that significantly improve their lives.
Cancer Vaccines and Immunotherapeutics seeks to discover novel vaccines for the prevention and treatment of various cancers by using a variety of vaccine technology platforms and in combination with immunomodulatory agents. We are searching for a motivated individual with a basic scientific understanding of tumor biology with practical experience in the theory and fit for purpose use of various murine tumor models. The candidate will be required to proactively apply their knowledge to prosecute experimental work plans provided by their supervisor and effectively conduct their work semi- independently and as a member of the ImmunoPharmacology team. The candidate will be required to summarize and critique their results, with guidance from their supervisor, as well as on occasion communicate data effectively at work-group meetings.
This role is laboratory based with a major emphasis placed upon executing murine tumor models. The primary role is to assist in the execution of murine tumor models that are designed to understand/refine the mechanism of action responsible for the preclinical efficacy of cancer vaccines and similar immunotherapeutic approaches.
Senior Associate Scientist > Executive Director ImmunoPharmacology > Vice President Cancer Vaccines and Immunotherapeutics
Tumor Biology Research
• With direction, assist other team members in conducting murine tumor models that measure the preclinical efficacy of cancer vaccines and similar immunotherapeutic approaches.
Primary Responsibilities - Laboratory and related work (90 of time) with supervision:
• Assist in the design and execution of studies in relevant in vivo immuno-oncology-related models.
• Perform micro-chipping, multi-route dosing, bleeding, tumor measurements, and terminal procedures.
• Collect and process tissues and blood for ex vivo analysis.
• Identify and report any experimental problems, troubleshoot causative factors, and suggest necessary corrections in discussion with supervisor.
• Support general laboratory operations including daily preparation of buffers and solutions, ordering and re-stocking laboratory supplies, maintaining a clean and safe work environment and maintenance of equipment.
• Regularly records experimental work upon completion in electronic notebook systems and archives instrument raw data on server databases.
• Communicates effectively with ImmunoPharmacology and Immunology team members.
• Actively contributes ideas in group and line meetings.
• Provides clear, concise and timely responses for data and experimental information to line manager.
Scientific/ Technical Knowledge
• Demonstrated experience in murine models, preferably murine tumor models.
• Bachelor of Science degree in life sciences
• 2+ years of experience working in a laboratory setting that routinely performs in vivo and ex vivo murine experiments.
• Practical understanding and application of statistical methods to experimental design and outcome measures.
• Good oral and written communication skills
• Effective in communication skills both verbal and written; listens and understands well. Excellent interactive skills with people with diverse backgrounds and perspectives.
• Proactively recognizes needs and problems, and independently identifies and implements effective steps and solutions
• Standing, sitting, bending, lifting, walking in a laboratory or vivarium setting.
• Use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) in a BSL-2 laboratory; additional PPE requirements when working in vivarium barrier suites.
• Standard business office conditions; sitting, standing as appropriate
Non-Standard Work Schedule, Environment Requirements:
• Lifting, sitting, standing, walking, bending, repetitive pipetting, ability to perform mathematical calculations, ability to read, understand, and perform written protocols, and ability to perform moderately complex data analysis using Microsoft Excel, GraphPad Prism or other similar data analysis software.
• Routine off-hour and weekend schedule
• Adherence to La Jolla EHS policies and training; ability to work with human, non-human primate or murine blood samples and organ tissues.
• Will be required to work with BSL2 infectious viruses (e.g. Vaccinia virus, adenovirus, and influenza) and must receive and maintain required vaccinations or provide satisfactory proof of same.
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Colleagues who are issued an Incident Final Warning (IFW) on or after January 1, 2016, are not eligible to post and compete for a position for a period of 12-months from the date an IFW is issued.A career at Pfizer offers opportunity, ownership and impact.
All over the world, Pfizer colleagues work together to positively impact health for everyone, everywhere. Our colleagues have the opportunity to grow and develop a career that offers both individual and company success; be part of an ownership culture that values diversity and where all colleagues are energized and engaged; and the ability to impact the health and lives of millions of people. Pfizer, a global leader in the bio-pharmaceutical industry, is continuously seeking top talent who are inspired by our purpose to innovate to bring therapies to patients that significantly improve their lives.
Pfizer is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable equal employment opportunity legislation in each jurisdiction in which it operates.