Pfizer Senior Scientist, Clinical Cell in San Diego, California
A career at Pfizer offers opportunity, ownership and impact.
All over the world, Pfizer colleagues work together to positively impact health for everyone, everywhere. Our colleagues have the opportunity to grow and develop a career that offers both individual and company success; be part of an ownership culture that values diversity and where all colleagues are energized and engaged; and the ability to impact the health and lives of millions of people. Pfizer, a global leader in the biopharmaceutical industry, is continuously seeking top talent who are inspired by our purpose to innovate to bring therapies to patients that significantly improve their lives.
• Senior scientist position is within the Clinical &; Diagnostics Assay Development (CDAD) group within Pfizer Vaccine Research in La Jolla, CA.
• The incumbent will provide flow cytometry and cell-mediated immunity (CMI) based immunological support for Pfizer's vaccines programs. This will entail the development and implementation of complex flow cytometry experiments utilizing established and novel procedures. Additionally, the incumbent will lead the development and optimization of assays to characterize CMI responses to vaccines.
• This position is responsible for supporting clinical development of vaccine programs by qualifying clinical assays fit-for-use for assessment of immune responses in phase 1/2 clinical trials, and also for the conduct of cell-based assays on samples acquired as part of early-stage clinical trials.
• This position requires an in-depth technical knowledge of multi-parameter Flow Cytometry using the Becton Dickenson platform, as well as an understanding of relevant software including FACS Diva and FlowJo.
• The role also includes conducting tasks required to operate a GCLP compliant laboratory that may include maintenance of equipment, reagent sourcing and/or activities relating to compliance (such as document management).
• Experience of working in a BSL2 level tissue culture laboratory is required.
• Requires a colleague with good analytical skills, attention to detail and a basic understanding of statistics, as well as ability to clearly document and present complex biological data.
• The incumbent is accountable to line management and project leadership.
• Oversee a flow cytometry laboratory.
• Lead the design, development and qualification/validation of flow cytometry-based clinical immune assays to evaluate cell mediated immune responses in support of various vaccine clinical programs.
• Interpret data and draw final conclusions regarding progress and results of work. Present progress to senior management and project leadership. Write reports for internal communications as well as complete scientific papers for peered review journals. Required to present original research at internal seminars and external scientific meetings.
• Conduct cell-based immunoassays on clinical samples in accordance with GCLP requirements.
• Exhibits exceptional professional maturity as exemplified by promoting interaction within and outside of group and a proven ability to train scientific staff in laboratory techniques.
• Read scientific and technical literature in order to bring new and improved procedures to the laboratory, and to broaden understanding of disciplines outside area of training. Utilizes all appropriate experimental design methods needed for pharmaceutical industry work in area of specialization.
• Act as the technical lead for the flow cytometry team by maintaining flow cytometers, reagents and associated analytical platforms and software to achieve clinical compliance.
• Support the efficient and compliant operation of the laboratory by developing appropriate processes and standard operating procedures and working with others to operate the laboratory.
• Directly manage work of at least 1 scientist; and indirect management of additional scientists through matrix relationship.
• PhD with 2+ (preferred) or Masters with 6+ years of relevant work experience.
• A background in immunology and cell-based assay development.
• Expertise in multi-parameter flow cytometry using the Becton Dickenson platform.
• Experience of working in an industrial laboratory with a defined quality system.
• Experience with tissue culture and working with human samples under aseptic conditions.
• Strong verbal and written communication and presentation skills in English are required.
• Proficiency in all common office including word processing, spreadsheets, PowerPoint and relevant scientific software is required.
• Strong ability to multi-task and work efficiently and productively in a fast-paced and highly collaborative environment.
• Experience in managing scientists is preferred but not required.
Preferred (one or more of the following)
• Experience of applying automated systems to complex biological assay applications.
• Experience in the implementation and use of laboratory information management systems.
• Knowledge of clinical serological assays or ELISPOT assay.
• Expected to spend 80% of their time in the laboratory developing and conducting clinical cell based assays and 20% preparing documentation associated with working in a compliant environment.
• Primarily based at the La Jolla site with the potential for some travel to collaborating and contracted laboratories.
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Colleagues who are issued an Incident Final Warning (IFW) on or after January 1, 2016, are not eligible to post and compete for a position for a period of 12-months from the date an IFW is issued.A career at Pfizer offers opportunity, ownership and impact.
All over the world, Pfizer colleagues work together to positively impact health for everyone, everywhere. Our colleagues have the opportunity to grow and develop a career that offers both individual and company success; be part of an ownership culture that values diversity and where all colleagues are energized and engaged; and the ability to impact the health and lives of millions of people. Pfizer, a global leader in the bio-pharmaceutical industry, is continuously seeking top talent who are inspired by our purpose to innovate to bring therapies to patients that significantly improve their lives.
Pfizer is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable equal employment opportunity legislation in each jurisdiction in which it operates.