Pfizer Senior Scientist, ImmunoPharmacology Tumor Biology in San Diego, California
A career at Pfizer offers opportunity, ownership and impact.
All over the world, Pfizer colleagues work together to positively impact health for everyone, everywhere. Our colleagues have the opportunity to grow and develop a career that offers both individual and company success; be part of an ownership culture that values diversity and where all colleagues are energized and engaged; and the ability to impact the health and lives of millions of people. Pfizer, a global leader in the biopharmaceutical industry, is continuously seeking top talent who are inspired by our purpose to innovate to bring therapies to patients that significantly improve their lives.
Pfizer's Cancer Vaccines and Immunotherapeutics (CVIT) department is developing state-of-the-art cancer vaccine- and oncolytic virus-based immunotherapy regimens that will benefit cancer patients. These regimens combine potent cancer vaccines and oncolytic viruses with multiple immuno-oncology agents including checkpoint inhibitors, and position Pfizer to be a leader in next generation immune-oncology therapeutics. The Senior Scientist position will join a highly skilled and dedicated Immuno-Pharmacology team and apply expertise in cancer tumor biology to advance novel cancer vaccine platforms from preclinical research through early clinical development. This position will directly execute our in vivo experimental research plans to measure and characterize the efficacy of immunotherapeutic platforms and in combination with immune-oncology agents when tested in fit for purpose murine tumor models. This position will apply expertise in tumor biology models to understand/refine the mechanism of action responsible for preclinical tumor efficacy of our immunotherapeutic platforms and effects on the functions of the adaptive immune system, the modulation of the tumor microenvironment, and its impact on immune cell subsets. The position is located in La Jolla, CA, and will report to the Head of the ImmunoPharmacology group for Cancer Vaccines and Immunotherapeutics.
Senior Scientist > Executive Director ImmunoPharmacology > Vice President Cancer Vaccines and Immunotherapeutics
Tumor Biology Research
• Design and execute tumor models, immuno-oncology related models, and translational research to understand/refine the mechanism of action responsible for preclinical efficacy of cancer vaccines and similar immunotherapeutic approaches.
Primary Responsibilities - Laboratory based (60% of time)
• Design and execute studies in relevant in vivo immuno-oncology-related models, e.g., syngeneic subcutaneous and orthotopic tumor models, spontaneous tumor models, xenograft models, models derived from primary patient samples, for identifying and profiling the pharmacologic and immunologic effects of our immunotherapeutic platforms.
• Investigate the tumor microenvironment and the causality of therapeutic approaches in overcoming the immunosuppressive microenvironment.
• Provide input into preclinical study campaigns that provide the rationale for immuno-modulator combinations.
Group Lead Effectiveness
• Manages the day-to-day workload of one or more direct reports.
• Sets appropriate and impactful goals for colleagues, provides honest feedback on progress towards goals, conducts fair and reasoned annual performance appraisals.
• In partnership with colleagues agrees to manage realistic and achievable individual development plans.
• Confronts and manages difficult situations and practices conflict management.
• Working with project teams defines study aims and experimental plans that meet the objectives of the research plan
• Coordinates the scheduling of study readouts with project teams, Immunopharmacology and Immunology
• Organizes and leads study teams on readouts and coordinates both the in vivo vivarium and ex vivo laboratory work
• Manages the generation of data, expertly analyzes and interprets experimental data ensuring its accuracy, and delivers such to the project in a timely manner.
• Regularly records experimental work upon completion in electronic notebook systems. Builds the capacity/functionality of the Tumor Biology group ensuring the latest methodology/ technology is considered and adopted as necessary
Leadership &; Communication
• Takes a position in controversial issues when appropriate and skillfully challenges the team to reach high-quality decisions that are in the best interests of the project.
• Communicates effectively with ImmunoPharmacology, Immunology and CVIT senior management and beyond.
• Actively contributes ideas and challenges data at project reviews, line and project team meetings.
• Provides clear, concise and timely responses to project team requests for data and experimental information.
Scientific/ Technical Knowledge
• Recognized SME in one or more relevant tumor biology models. Understands the application of fit for purpose in vivo models and the translatability of such data to the clinic.
• Applies appropriate rigor to experimental design and controls and assimilates new and emerging information from the literature and applies to ongoing or future studies.
• PhD in life sciences, with a focus on tumor biology, immunology and/or oncology.
• 3+ years (beyond last degree) of experience working in a laboratory setting that routinely performs in vivo and ex vivo tumor biology experiments.
• Demonstrated practical experience (publications and/or job) with tumor and immune-oncology mouse models (syngeneic, genetically engineered or humanized) that assess efficacy outcomes.
• Practical understanding and application of statistical methods to experimental design and outcome measures.
• Good oral and written communication skills
• Effective in communication skills both verbal and written; listens and understands well. Excellent interactive skills with people with diverse backgrounds and perspectives.
• Proactively recognizes needs and problems, and independently identifies and implements effective steps and solutions
• Standing, sitting, bending, lifting, walking in a laboratory or vivarium setting.
• Use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) in a BSL-2 laboratory; additional PPE requirements when working in vivarium barrier suites.
• Standard business office conditions; sitting, standing as appropriate
• Infrequent travel (generally other Pfizer sites or professional meetings)
Non-Standard Work Schedule, Environment Requirements:
• Lifting, sitting, standing, walking, bending, repetitive pipetting, ability to perform mathematical calculations, ability to read, understand, and perform written protocols, and ability to perform moderately complex data analysis using Microsoft Excel, GraphPad Prism or other similar data analysis software.
• Occasional off-hour and weekend schedule.
• Adherence to La Jolla EHS policies and training; ability to work with human, non-human primate or murine blood samples and organ tissues.
• Will be required to work with BSL2 infectious viruses (e.g. Vaccinia virus, adenovirus, and influenza) and must receive and maintain required vaccinations or provide satisfactory proof of same.
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Colleagues who are issued an Incident Final Warning (IFW) on or after January 1, 2016, are not eligible to post and compete for a position for a period of 12-months from the date an IFW is issued.A career at Pfizer offers opportunity, ownership and impact.
All over the world, Pfizer colleagues work together to positively impact health for everyone, everywhere. Our colleagues have the opportunity to grow and develop a career that offers both individual and company success; be part of an ownership culture that values diversity and where all colleagues are energized and engaged; and the ability to impact the health and lives of millions of people. Pfizer, a global leader in the bio-pharmaceutical industry, is continuously seeking top talent who are inspired by our purpose to innovate to bring therapies to patients that significantly improve their lives.
Pfizer is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable equal employment opportunity legislation in each jurisdiction in which it operates.