Pfizer Senior Associate Scientist, Molecular Biology, AAV in United States
A career at Pfizer offers opportunity, ownership and impact.
All over the world, Pfizer colleagues work together to positively impact health for everyone, everywhere. Our colleagues have the opportunity to grow and develop a career that offers both individual and company success; be part of an ownership culture that values diversity and where all colleagues are energized and engaged; and the ability to impact the health and lives of millions of people. Pfizer, a global leader in the biopharmaceutical industry, is continuously seeking top talent who are inspired by our purpose to innovate to bring therapies to patients that significantly improve their lives.
The Rare Diseases Research Unit (RDRU) of Pfizer is committed to the development of new
therapies to address unmet medical needs of those individuals with rare and neglected diseases
and to make a real impact on patient lives.
This is a really exciting time for Pfizer RDRU, which has recently established Bamboo Therapeutics in Chapel Hill, NC. Our laboratory is dedicated to the discovery and development of Gene Therapy based products and our commitment to rare disease research and to genetic medicine development is expected to be an area of tremendous growth in the coming years. Bamboo is fitted with state-of-the-art laboratories and equipment, providing the perfect environment for cutting-edge science and exciting project.
This position with be responsible for making plasmids for the cloning lab while also performing functional evaluations and producing plasmid stocks for downstream cell culture. This position will also require the scientist to manage a molecular biology laboratory by ordering supplies and performing lab equipment maintenance when needed. May be required to train and oversee new technicians.
• Manages the operations of a molecular biology lab, including ordering supplies and performing necessary maintenance of lab related equipment.
• Makes and evaluates plasmids for the cloning lab.
• Performs cell culture and transfections for plasmid efficiency.
• Maintains proper QC and QA to ensure a viable product.
• Follows GLP rules.
• Reports any concerns and problems to supervisor.
• Follows strict adherence to all company compliance rules and regulations.
• Trains and oversees lower level technicians, as needed.
This position is to be managed through Bamboo Therapeutics as part of the Rare Disease Research Unit. The position will have interactions with multiple functional lines within the company including the Pharmacological Sciences. In addition, the unit is designed to operate in a highly networked manner.
• Education: A BA or BSc with 5+ years of laboratory experience or equivalent experience in Biological Sciences, Biochemical engineering or a related fields.
• This position requires the ability to act independently and to take initiative with minimal supervision from manager.
• Advise manager of work schedule, priorities, problems, and of planned and unplanned absences.
• Experience with DNA and RNA extractions and purification methods, primer design and optimization, DNA sequencing and analysis, RFLP, gel electrophoresis, molecular cloning, and Plasmid design and extraction methods (mini, midi and maxi preps)
• Lab management and maintenance experience with some familiarity with mammalian cell culture and viral transfection.
• Familiarity with the principles of GMP
• Ability to develop and follow detailed SOPs
• Knowledge of virology techniques is required
• Knowledge of Cell banking development and characterization is required
• The successful candidate will possess strong technical and theoretical understanding of
complex processes; problem-solving skills, analytical skills, and attention to detail are essential
• Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively to all levels of the organization.
• Previous experience working in a collaborative environment.
• Ability to prioritize and multi-task concurrent project demands, while maintaining exceptional attention to detail as well as organization.
• Strong computer skills in Microsoft Office required e.g. MS Word and MS Excel.
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Colleagues who are issued an Incident Final Warning (IFW) on or after January 1, 2016, are not eligible to post and compete for a position for a period of 12-months from the date an IFW is issued.A career at Pfizer offers opportunity, ownership and impact.
All over the world, Pfizer colleagues work together to positively impact health for everyone, everywhere. Our colleagues have the opportunity to grow and develop a career that offers both individual and company success; be part of an ownership culture that values diversity and where all colleagues are energized and engaged; and the ability to impact the health and lives of millions of people. Pfizer, a global leader in the bio-pharmaceutical industry, is continuously seeking top talent who are inspired by our purpose to innovate to bring therapies to patients that significantly improve their lives.
Pfizer is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable equal employment opportunity legislation in each jurisdiction in which it operates.