Pfizer Fixed Asset Statutory Accountant in Escazu, Costa Rica
Current Statutory processes involve a number of different teams across Pfizer, with differing
roles and accounting responsibilities by region. In particular, the group is responsible for end to
end Local GAAP reporting activities, as well as a number of US GAAP related activities.
The SAR CoE Statutory Accountant will assist with coordinating the statutory audits within
their assigned countries and ensuring the timely and accurate preparation of audit deliverables.
The Accountant will maintain Local GAAP ledgers ensuring information is updated in a timely
and accurate manner.
The Accountant will act as a point of contact for all statutory reporting related technical queries
for their assigned markets from within the statutory reporting group as well as from other
The Senior Statutory Accountant is expected to oversee and manage specific R2R activities.
Some activities may include:
• Prepare statutory balance based on financial accounting adjusting to current tax regulations.
• Engage with key stakeholders to execute the required knowledge share and ensure thorough
documentation of the local GAAP prior to migration
• Effectively coordinate and drive knowledge sharing through a mix of remote interaction and
site visits according to business needs
• Manage the quality and development of the financial accounts and processes. Identify
opportunities for continuous process improvement and innovate solutions so that the
team can operate in an efficient and effective manner.
• Prepare Financial Statements (&; disclosures) in line with Local GAAP conventions
• Oversee the implementation of complex projects/issues which require experience
and significant technical accounting abilities.
• Act as point of contact for Audit (internal and external) within assigned countries. Ensure
audit deliverables are provided timely and to a high standard. Support Audit and Pre-Audit
• Act as a point of contact for all statutory related technical queries for their assigned markets.
• Maintain Statutory Books and Records
• Compare the balances between USGAAP, IFRS to validate if the differences are correctly
supported. Account mapping between USGAAP and IFRS.
• Knowledge of different treatment in USGAAP and local fiscal purposes
• Prepare majority of local GAAP account reconciliations
Perform local statutory analytical reviews (as applicable)
• Local regulatory reporting
• Participate in and coordinate projects that require creativity and analytical skills
• Contribute to team effort and assist colleagues as needed to balance workloads
• Other ad hoc responsibilities may be assigned including, but not limited to, involvement
in local statutory reporting, oversight of transitional service agreements, and reporting of
entities outside the ERP system.
University Degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business required
• Qualified Accountant required
Qualifications, Skills &; Experience:
• Minimum of 5 years of related accounting experience
• Advanced English Level
• Microsoft Office Advanced Proficiency (is required to use advanced techniques for analyzing
and manipulating data in Excel).
• Experience in a shared services environment is preferable
• Strong technical accounting knowledge (US GAAP, IFRS, Local GAAP) with experience in
financial statement preparation
• Strong analytical financial skills
• Practical experience of US GAAP and Statutory Accounting including familiarity with
• Ability to analytically review and challenge financial data to ensure completeness, accuracy
and adherence to policy.
• Ability to work independently, to work under pressure and to handle several projects at once
• High level of self-motivation, energy and flexibility
• High customer and service delivery focus
• Oracle/SAP and HFM/FDM experience essentialThe Statutory Reporting COE comprises a number of different teams across Pfizer, with differing roles and accounting responsibilities by region. In particular, the group is responsible for end to end Local GAAP reporting activities, as well as a number of US GAAP related activities.
The Fixed Assets Statutory Accountant is responsible for supporting Fixed Assets reporting in local statutory accounts for certain Pfizer LATAM market(s).
The main focus of the Fixed Assets Statutory Accountant will be on-time and accurate statutory reporting of all Fixed Assets for LATAM markets. In addition to the accurate Statutory reporting of Fixed Assets, the accountant will play an active role in supporting other statutory activities as required which may involve the statutory treatment of complex asset management associated with acquisition & divesture activities.
The following are the main requirements of the role:
Support the Fixed Asset processes for the LATAM markets that have recently transitioned to the Statutory Reporting COE in Costa Rica and provide necessary guidance where required. Identify continuous improvement opportunities in this regard
Support various ongoing Fixed Asset projects as deemed necessary
Preparation of market specific local reporting requirements relating to Fixed Assets. Including maintain of Statutory Books and Records
Preparation and reconciliation of Financial Statements in local GAAP for Fixed Assets (notes and disclosures)
Perform Statutory Fixed Assets audit activities, ensuring deliverables are met in a timely and accurate manner.
Perform required internal controls in a timely manner and to a high standard of quality
Update controls documentation and work instructions as required
Handle issues and information requests from all stakeholders including Corporate HQ, GFS teams, local Markets and auditors
Support other team members activities where required to ensure team level deliverables met
Compare the balances between USGAAP, IFRS/Local GAAP to validate if the differences are correctly supported. Account mapping between USGAAP and IFRS.
Maintain knowledge of and keep informed on different treatment in USGAAP and local fiscal purposes
Prepare local GAAP account reconciliations for fixed assets and other areas as required
Perform local statutory analytical reviews (as applicable)
Help drive efficiencies in GFS processes by identifying opportunities for standardization and best practice
Develop effective working relationships with key stakeholders in GFS and markets
Contribute to team effort and assist colleagues as needed to balance workloads
Other ad hoc responsibilities may be assigned including, but not limited to, involvement in local statutory reporting, oversight of transitional service agreements, and reporting of entities outside the ERP system.
Education, Skills and Experience Required
University Degree in Business, Finance, or Accounting required
Qualified or Part-Qualified Accountant required
Knowledge of Local GAAP Fixed Assets Accounting an advantage
Strong accounting, interpersonal, analytical thinking, and organizational skills
Highly customer and service minded
Experience in a multinational (Shared Services) environment desirable
SAP and Oracle experience desirable
Intermediate verbal and written communication skills in English
Strong proficiency in PC skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
Pfizer is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable equal employment opportunity legislation in each jurisdiction in which it operates.