Pfizer EHS Undergraduate in Sandwich, United Kingdom
-- Pfizer UK Undergraduate Programme 2019/2020
Environment, Health and Safety Undergraduate
UK Research and Development and Commercial
Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) Department
Pfizer UK is involved in the discovery, development, manufacture and sale of medicines for the treatment of diseases in humans.
It is vital that we conduct our business in a manner that safeguards not only the health and safety interests of our customers, colleagues, investors, business partners but also the communities and environment in which we operate and all live.
We believe that EHS excellence enhances our business and social performance through the minimisation of losses and liabilities and we constantly strive to improve our culture to one where EHS is embedded across the business and accepted as 'the way we do business round here'.
The Pfizer UK Research and Development and Commercial EHS department manages and maintains the management system framework and provides support in the form of advice, guidance and training across a hugely diverse range of EHS topics, to allow the business to achieve these aims.
As Environmental, Health and Safety Undergraduate, you will naturally focus your efforts in supporting our programmes and initiatives. You will gain first-hand experience of a wide range of health and safety programs as well as environmental topics and activities, including our Carbon Reduction initiatives, the Pfizer Green Chemistry programme, Industrial Emissions monitoring, through to supporting the hugely successful Pfizer STEM Ambassador programme.
If you would like to help us change behaviours and further improve our culture to one where working sustainably and thinking about the environmental impact of our activities becomes second nature to all of us working at Pfizer then we would like to hear from you.
What can I achieve and what will I be responsible for whilst completing a placement at Pfizer?
After the necessary training and under close tutelage this role will provide valuable resource for the delivery and day to day support requirements described above. The role will involve interactions within commercial offices, research laboratories and drug production facilities across our main sites and facilities and will provide the role holder with valuable first-hand experience of the EHS management systems and programmes required to support the business operations and the risk profiles in each of these work spaces.
The role is interesting and varied and will include:-
• Supporting the UK EHS Management system, in particular with a view to preparing Pfizer for compliance with ISO 45001:2016, the new Occupational Health and Safety Management Standard
• Involvement in and where appropriate opportunity to lead improvement projects in Environmental management and reporting
• Participating in the Pfizer UK EHS Culture programme, in particular design, delivery and oversight of improvement initiatives to foster a 'Generative' Culture within Pfizer
• Providing hands-on practical advice, guidance and support to the business across an agreed range of topics, such as Risk Assessment, Accident / Incident Investigation, Waste management and Energy efficiency programmes
• Assisting the UK EHS Governance Structure, through attendance at EHS Committee meetings, communicating key information and documenting outcomes
• Maintenance of the UK R&D EHS information SharePoint site and Email account
• Supporting EHS training programmes, including an opportunity following the appropriate training and mentoring, for the delivery of training to colleagues
• Data analysis and review, including preparation of performance reports for site Leaders, to identify trends and continuous improvement opportunities
• Assistance with EHS auditing, inspection and monitoring programmes
• Compiling promotional communications for topical EHS items, for example our fleet safety programme
What other opportunities and benefits do Pfizer offer?
You will have an opportunity to travel within the UK and visit our Research and Development and Commercial facilities.
You will be expected to attend relevant conferences and seminars to represent Pfizer and disseminate relevant information as necessary.
You will receive a competitive salary along with benefits including 25.5 days annual leave
When can I start?
Placements will start on 2nd September 2019 and will run for 12 months.
Type of person we are looking for, in relation to ' Skills ', ' Knowledge ' and ' Motivation ':
On target for a 2:1 Degree Classification
Good verbal, written and presentation skills
Good soft people skills, with an engaging personality
Confidence to liaise with Pfizer personnel within different departments and different levels of seniority
Ability to interpret data using Microsoft suite of tools to generate creative reports
Enthusiasm and pro-active approach with an interest in business risk and resilience
Pfizer is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable equal employment opportunity legislation in each jurisdiction in which it operates.